Friday, August 9, 2013

Silence Hides Violence: Speaking Out Against Teen Dating Violence

                Dating violence is one of the most common, dangerous and overlooked problems facing teens today.  Unhealthy relationships can start early and last a lifetime, leading to lifelong unhealthy relationship practices. Dating violence crosses all racial and ethnic lines. Males and females alike fall victim. The teen group is at risk because statistics have shown that they are the least likely group to disclose warning signs or abuse to a friend, family member or trusted adult and especially to report dating violence to police.
                The idea of treating others with respect may seem like common sense, but the truth is that quite a few teens are involved in violent relationships. Teens, as well as everyone else, have to understand that violence is never acceptable. Education is the key to preventing this behavior. Prevention initiatives include early education about healthy dating practices as well as guidance on how to detect violent behavior. Teens need to be made aware of resources available to them. They also need to be empowered to stand up for themselves and to not allow disrespectful behavior.
                     The issue of teen dating violence is one that is very close to my heart. I was in an emotionally and physically abusive relationship for 3 years which began when I was 17. After several unsuccessful attempts at leaving the relationship, I reached my breaking point when I was struck in the face so hard that my vision was permanently damaged.  With the support of my family and friends I was able to leave the relationship, and I feel the strongest that I ever have. Sadly, so many other people do not have the support that I do, and therefore become trapped in a never ending cycle of abuse.

                It is my goal to spread awareness and education about dating violence. I want young people to believe in themselves and know their worth. In honor of the many brave survivors, and in memory of those who are no longer here, please join my cause. Together we can end this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment